Thursday, March 3, 2011

Medical privacy rights

As part of our basic rights to privacy, it is legally and commonly accepted that medical privacy is among the more important aspect of these rights. This usually comes up with regard to unfair discrimination. For years, anyone with a medical condition that involved a need for a wheelchair or a metal implant has been targeted by airport security (both pre- and post-TSA) because they set off metal detectors. For that reason, there have been some who have proclaimed the scanners as a positive because they could instead go through the scanner and be on their way.

However, the scanners still violate their right to privacy about their own medical condition. It just seems less personal, but there is someone who can now see under your clothes to see what sort of frailty you may suffer from. If it is something that appears as an anomaly - like a mastectomy or back brace - then you have to undergo further scrutiny in the form of a pat-down. The man interviewed in this article is a little embarrassed about his need for a back brace and prefers to keep that information to himself. Isn't that his right?

2 comments:

  1. Boycott Flying is another site you can add to your Blogroll, if you wish ... and please, come join us.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Flying/126801010710392

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesday March 1, 2011 I was scanned for quite a lengthy period of time at the San Diego airport. I believe it was due to extensive metal hardware in my right femur (reconstructive surgery). However, they did stop using the machine right after me so it could have been a malfunction. No matter which, I was humiliated. I know that I could have opted for a patdown but after watch a disgusting and invasive search of a young pregnant woman, I refused. I am a skin cancer patient so no telling what that extensive exposure could do to any precancerous skin cells. To top it off, I began to panic due to the lengthy time and my heart arrythmia worsened. I was sick on the entire flight home.
    What have we done? I'm a patriotic, older woman and I can't even go see my granddaughter without risking my health.

    ReplyDelete