Monday, August 8, 2011

Taking a pregnant diabetic's insulin

Another stupid story courtesy of the TSA:

The Colorado woman, who hasn't been identified by name, told 7News that TSA agents at Denver International Airport told her that her insulin and ice packs were "at risk for explosives," even though the insulin was correctly labeled and accompanied by the required note. She adds, "When I started asking for names of people, everybody scattered even more and left me crying at the TSA checkpoint." She says she was able to take a half a vial of insulin through security because agents didn't find it, which makes the whole thing even more depressing — according to her story, the agents weren't even effective in their needless confiscation.
The agency, however, tells a different story. They've apologized, but they also say they never took the insulin: says spokeswoman Pat Ahlstrom, "We talked to all of our people and they didn't touch her insulin." Gosh, it sure is reassuring to know that a federal-level security kerfuffle can be reduced to finger-pointing.
 But, tell me, why is everyone so easily manipulated by TSA press releases? This article, despite its good start, devolves into propaganda of how the masses should be grateful because cartoon images will be used on the naked scanners and SPOT is somehow less invasive of our rights.

UPDATE: Fox is reporting that the TSA claims they only took her ice pack because it was not completely frozen. When I last flew with my daughter, I had to bring a full day's worth of food for both of us, which included milk for her. I had bags of ice in there that had obviously melted somewhat by the time I got to security. I wasn't sure if this would be a problem - and it wasn't - but just step back for a second and think about if this makes sense on a human level. Yes, I know from the viewpoint of "I'm scared the ter'ist will get me," it makes total sense to have people fly barely clothed and without any carry-ons. But, in real life, people are traveling - sometimes spending all day getting to their destination - and need basic things to get through their day. Avoiding food poisoning and keeping critical medications stable are such basic things. There is no humanity in government-run airport security.

No comments:

Post a Comment