Monday, July 18, 2011

EPIV v DHS decision

In short, the court says the scanners aren't unconstitutional because violating privacy is necessary, but, since they do indeed violate privacy, the TSA should have had a public comment period before installing them. The judge must have been channeling Orwell.

At least that's my take on it. Here are a few others:
UPDATE: For what it's worth, I just want to say that - while I applaud the efforts of EPIC - I do not see any possibility of legal success through the courts on this matter. EPIC has done an excellent job of bringing focus to this issue, but in the end it is the government ruling about whether the government is doing a good job. Once in awhile there's a victory here, but mostly these cases just show what a sham the system is. Sorry to be such a downer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to expend your energy on something, you have to be realistic about the likely outcomes. To that end, I don't think an airline boycott is likely to help abolish the TSA. See my earlier post on this.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment