"Pull the Plug NOW" PetitionHonorable Members of the Senate of the United States of AmericaWe, the undersigned people of the United States, demand that you exercise your oversight powers to immediately stop the use of full body scanners and pat-down techniques currently being employed at airports across the country by the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA), under the authority of the Department of Homeland Security, for the following reasons:
- Such scans and pat-downs directly violate the Fourth Amendment guarding against unnecessary search and seizure
Please...stop this lunacy now! Americans are being asked to sacrifice their constitutional rights, their liberties, and their dignity in exchange for the illusion of safety. It is time to draw the line. We, the undersigned, strongly support and advocate our nation's safety and security, but we also strongly support and advocate our constitutionally guaranteed liberties and freedoms. Full body scanners and pat-down techniques are NOT the answer and should cease and desist immediately.
- Full body scans represent a potential health hazard to frequent fliers
- Despite being reassured by the Department of Homeland Security that it wouldn't happen, the U.S. Marshall's Service has already admitted to saving thousands of scan images; how long before these images are used for nefarious purposes?
- Full body scans and pat-down techniques are highly revealing and extraordinarily invasive; is this something you wish your wife be subjected to? How about your teenage daughter?
- Full body scans and pat-down techniques DO NOT detect explosive devices hidden within the human body ("booty bombs"), therefore FAIL to insure the security they supposedly represent!
- If human body bombs cannot be detected by current techniques, how long before full-cavity body searches are also authorized in the name of homeland security?
- Full body scans and pat-down techniques DO NOT GUARANTEE that a determined individual will not succeed in his or her efforts to blow up a passenger plane